View a list of breastfeeding resources...
View a business card-sized "License to Breastfeed"...
Research has shown that there is no better food than breast milk for a
baby’s first year of life. Breastfeeding provides many health,
nutritional, economical and emotional benefits to mother and baby. Since
a major goal of the WIC Program is to improve the nutritional status of
infants, WIC mothers are encouraged to breastfeed their infants. WIC has
historically promoted breastfeeding to all pregnant women as the optimal
infant feeding choice, unless medically contraindicated.
- WIC mothers are provided with breastfeeding information through
counseling and educational materials.
- Breastfeeding mothers receive follow-up support through peer
- Breastfeeding mothers are eligible to participate in WIC longer
than non-breastfeeding mothers.
- Mothers who exclusively breastfeed their infants receive an
enhanced food package.
- Breastfeeding mothers can receive breast pumps or other items
that may be needed to help support the initiation and continuation
< Back to WIC Nutrition main page...